Sign in to follow this  
BuLlEt

Everest vs. Rubber B: Comparison of Rolex Specific Rubber Straps (with Tang Buckle)

Hey Everyone,

As some of you may or may not know, I am a huge fan of strap options for my watches and rubber is one of my favorites.

I've seen several threads and comments lately on WUS and other forums about "Everest vs Rubber B" and I thought that I would try to shed some light on the topic since I own straps from both companies.

Here is a comparative review to help anyone looking for a bit of variety for their Rolex watches.

Packaging/Whats in the box?

Each strap comes in its own brand specific envelope. The packaging for each brand is good quality and suits each strap well. I have to give the nod to Everest for going the extra mile to make their packaging hunter green and gold to match the Rolex packaging. It's a nice touch.

20150925182445_ayxju4ielxi.jpg

20150925182446_k4c00mg3z2y.jpg

Price:

The Everest strap retails at $225 and the Rubber B is priced at $240.

First Impressions:

The first thing I noticed between the straps was a difference in feel and flexibility. Both straps are made of high-end Swiss rubber, but the Everest strap is a lot softer and more supple to the touch. The Everest strap is also more flexible and doesn't seem to need a "break-in" period.

The second difference between the two is size. The Everest strap is curvier and a bit more robust while the Rubber B is thinner with sharper angles.

Everest on the left/Rubber B on the right:

20150925182447_vuroyjpyany.jpg

Everest profile:

20150925182447_io2z50e4txs.jpg

Rubber B profile:

20150925182448_zls3pzd3g0c.jpg

Each strap also comes with a channel on the underside of the strap for increased breathability. However, the Everest channel is much deeper and runs along the entire strap. The channel is designed to help speed up the drying process when sweat and water get caught between your wrist and the watch.

Everest channel:

20150925182449_vpsycsbnk5e.jpg

Rubber B channel:

20150925182449_ieou3wbcjb5.jpg

Install:

I do not have any pics from the installation process, but the install is pretty straightforward on both straps. While neither strap is difficult to install, the design of the Everest strap makes it easier to lock the spring bar into the case. I found myself having to fiddle with the alignment of the Rubber B strap in order to get it to lock into place.

On the wrist:

Everest-

The Everest strap is made of a super soft rubber and the angle at which it connects to the case allows the strap to follow the natural contours of the wrist. I've owned other straps in the past that shot straight down from the case rather than taking a more circular path. This always resulted in the watch case "floating" slightly above the wrist rather than sitting flush against it. The Everest strap left the Sub sitting firmly atop my wrist without any lift whatsoever. This design made for a very comfortable fit.

Adjusting between the strap holes and removing the watch is VERY easy. The soft rubber makes it very pliable and enables the strap to glide between the buckle when adjusting or removing the watch.

Aesthetically, the Everest strap is the more robust of the two. Its masculine and overbuilt characteristics make it well-suited for any Rolex sport watch.

20150925182450_xq4r2q1vji3.jpg

20150925182450_4apto5gzezd.jpg

20150925182451_lpo5s0vobas.jpg

This image shows the wider angle of the Everest strap where it comes off the case. This enables it to wrap around the wrist naturally.

20150925182451_n2hncnic2bu.jpg

20150925182452_0x4wn332nz0.jpg

20150925182453_r45002psndi.jpg

Rubber B-

While the Rubber B strap was comfortable, it was not quite as comfortable as the Everest. Although the Rubber B is a thinner design, the strap is not as soft or flexible. It also does not wrap naturally around the wrist like the Everest strap did right out of the box. I feel as though the Rubber B may get to that point after a break-in period.

One issue I had with the Rubber B strap is that it felt a bit small on the wrist. I have a 7.5 inch wrist and found that the strap was a bit too short for me. I like my straps with a bit of tail which is something I have grown accustomed to from all my Panerai straps.

Adjusting the strap was a bit more difficult because the rubber isn't as soft. I have to tug a bit to get the pin to dislodge from the hole. Not a big deal, but it was something I noticed.

One thing I did like about the Rubber B strap was its look. It is a good looking strap just like its competitor. Its thinner profile and sharper lines give it a different type of appeal than the larger and more robust Everest.

20150925182453_pg5h3xvt4m2.jpg

20150925182454_brb5kkgye5r.jpg

20150925182454_lql2vbiucjb.jpg

This image shows how the Rubber B strap comes almost straight down from the case.

20150925182455_nhulnjdhi53.jpg

20150925182455_14gjjucvf3c.jpg

20150925182456_clkknhf4od5.jpg

Final Thoughts:

Deciding between these two straps can be difficult, especially for those who haven't handled them in person.

Most people base their decision solely on aesthetics. Personally, I like to base my decision on style, ease of use, and comfort. While both companies offer a great looking strap, one of them is superior in all other aspects.

For my money, I choose Everest.

The only complaint I have with the Everest band is the bottom corners of the buckle. The edges are very sharp (a nod to the accurate machining of the piece, but less than desirable in function) and can irritate your wrist after extended periods of wear. They should radius these corners to smooth them out.

Not a deal breaker, but worth mentioning.