Sign in to follow this  
Ydn2H3

Pelagos Vs. 16610

Tell me I'm crazy... I'm thinking about trading away my Submariner for a Pelagos. Not sure why I'm drawn to the Pelagos, but I am. I think I like the subtlety of the Tudor over the Rolex, though I know it's not as strong of an investment as the 16610.

Am I crazy?... Give me some arguments both ways, please... :)

I sold my briefly owned and very minty 14060 to buy my new Pelagos. My primary reason was I couldn't stand how reflective sapphire Submariners are; flat crystal + gloss black dial + no AR. I wasn't sure if my 14060 was a watch or a signaling mirror. The other reason was that I had a tritium model and wanted to re-lume but found out after purchasing that this is very difficult because of the nature of the WG surrounds. My favorite watch, btw, is the 5513, but there are little minty examples left, and a really nice example would cost as much as my Pelagos and 14060 combined.

Another thing to consider is the comfort of high-nickel 904L stainless steel v. titanium (admittedly, the Tudor has a 316 caesback and clasp). I'm not a huge fan of 904L but love titanium.

I don't think the Pelagos or Black Bay are lesser or "placeholder" Submariners; they're something completely different. If Rolex made a Submariner with a matter dial and a domed and/or AR coated crystal I may change my mind. Until then it's apples to oranges, and Rolex only makes oranges under the Tudor brand...

Ti is much lighter than steel, but just keep aware that they are much more scratch prone. Contrary to popular belief, Ti is actually softer than steel. I believe they are around 36 or so HRC in hardness where as 316/904 is in the 50s.

Indeed. I've seen the hardness numbers but can't remember the details off the top of my head. It would be nice if Tudor came out with a grade 5 Pelagos. If I recall correctly grade 5 titanium is slightly harder than SS, but the Pelagos is grade 2 (I'm the guy on another forum that actually called the NY Service Center to find out). My guess is that Tudor uses grade 2 because it's easier for service centers to refinish/refurbish (a micro-brand maker on the DWF stated that grade 5 titanium is extremely hard to finish and work with). On the other hand, the Tudor Advisor is grade 5 titanium...

Also, between the 16610 and Pelagos a huge factor to consider is the size difference. I actually prefer smaller 40mm watches, but everything else about the Pelagos made up for its girth.