Sign in to follow this  
jadccy

? For Explorer Owners

Hi everyone, I am seriously considering my first Rolex purchase. I really like both the Explorer and Explorer 2. I would either get the 39mm exp 1 or 40 mm exp 2. For those of you that have owned either or preferably both, what would you suggest?

A little info - The date function to me is nice but not necessary. I work in marketing (office attire) but not typically a suit. This is for my 40th and will be my "predominant watch", so I hope to keep (not flip) and give to my son at some point. I currently have a creamish/cashmere face watch and at some point would like to add a white Stowa Marine Original to round out my collection.

Any input is appreciated, as I like them both but having a hard time deciding!

Thanks!

I own the 39mm. Never even considered buying until I checked one out in person at the AD, and it blew me away. As classy as it is sporty, sleek in design, and exceptionally comfortable - I had to get it. Now, I will tell you that what I also like about the Explorer I is, unlike my GMT and Submariner, it is unique in that it does not have a bezel which adds a bit of variety to my collection. Now the Explorer II is a equally fine Rolex but, if I am going to buy a watch with a bezel, I would want it to rotate and not stay stationary.

I have the 39mm explorer 1, and would heartily recommend it. It's sporty and rugged, but dresses up well. Perfect for a more casual office environment. It goes well with anything. I thought I would miss the date complication, but I am fine without it. I think the explorer 1 is one of the best all-around watches out there and isn't going out of style. Get it, you won't regret it!

My vote is for the Explorer 1. I have one myself.

I was at the same point your are now at the start of the year. I chose the Exp 1 over the 2 as I feel the watch dresses up better. I don't wear a dinner suit that often, but I had to a week after purchasing the watch - I used it as a litmus test to decide. Both go well with casual clothes. Jean and a t-shirt or jumper. I don't think the Exp 2 smartens up enough and would have looked out of place with my dinner suit.

The Exp 1 is the better all rounder. Put it on a leather strap and it could be mistaken for a DJ.

I have an Explorer 39mm and love it--most versatile of watches. Then I looked at both of the Explorer IIs (40 and 42) and ended up getting the polar 216570--primarily because of the much improved bracelet and lume. My wrist is barely 7" and I don't believe it wears too large. I like having a GMT being a ham radio operator and also with family in the UK and Europe. Both run about +1s/d. There is no easy answer--both are tremendous watches and either will serve you well.