Sign in to follow this  
confidol

Why I hate Rolex! How can you even wear such a watch???

Just kidding! I love it. HAHA :)

I used to be a Rolex hater. I bought a Panerai then an Omega. I always said Rolex was dumb cause it was so popular and people that don't know about watches get a Rolex. Even worse was my opinion on the Submariner. I never understood why someone would buy the most common watch ever. Well...I recently bought a Submariner no-date and LOVE IT! It's the kind of watch you can put on your wrist every day regardless of what you're going to be doing and it will be just fine.

After buying it I really started looking at watches in the wild. I live in Chicago where there's obviously money. I travel all the time for work and I never see the Sub. I must have drank the Kool Aid or something before. This whole argument of "Rolex Sub's are so common - everyone has them!" Is so false. Sure you see a Sub here and there, but out of probably 2,000 watches I was spotting while on a layover in Atlanta for a few hours I saw ONE Sub with the date.

If you want to talk about a common watch then let's talk about that damn Apple watch or a Fitbit. A Rolex Sub is not common. I have come to learn when I hear that argument now I just assume it's a newbie in the watch community.

Just my two cents. My Sub no-date says hi!

David

Congratulations on your Submariner acquisition! Pictures, please! Mine says "Hi" back. I, too, never could understand the Rolex hype, and used to think it was just all about Marketing. To a fair extent, yes, but Rolex does make fantastic watches. I agree that Rolex's are not common - at least not where I live! It is true that those who do not know much about Watches AND are well-off financially tend to buy Rolex's. However, those who DO know about Watches also do buy Rolex's.

I saw a Pepsi once on the train home from Zurich, that's about it in terms of Rolex watches on other people's wrists. They're really not very common here in Switzerland. Tissot has the Swiss people in its grip - even my doctor wears one

20150925182540_gb52qizf2vr.gif

Dave,

Congrats on your Sub! Love that watch!

That said the Sub is fairly common as luxury watches go. Among a very affluent group at a conference I was at I counted 5-7 Subs out of maybe 100 people? Granted that group LOVES Rolex. Why? They are all hardworking, successful, dependable people. :) One person I work with owns three different black Subs...

I'll keep an eye out for you and your Sub around Chicago.

-Kevin

Yes it really does depend on where you hang out. At an IT conference last year, I was in a tutorial room with about 80 other people. I spotted 4 Explorer IIs all of them the 16570 polar and three Subs, two with date and one no date. There was one Daytona in the room. Tag Heuers of various models were also well represented. I was actually wearing my Casio at the time! I didn't see any Pateks, AL&S, VCs, APs nor JLCs, but then I guess those watches may not fit in with how IT engineers perceive themselves. If they did own such a watch, they'd probably keep it for formal occasions. I do for my JLC.

Young to middle-aged men who are reasonably active would probably tend to gravitate towards the Subs and Explorers in the Rolex range, and as we can see from this forum and other similar forums the Submariner range is probably the most popular of Rolex's watches. So it should not surprise if you run into a Rolex, chances are it will be a Submariner date or no-date. I think the Datejust is quite "common" as well.

Beautiful watch! One of my favorites. Enjoy.

It definitely depends on where you are, and who you're with. Where I work in south Texas, Rolex is definitely the only luxury watch you see with any real frequency. The younger group is a lot of Subs and Explorers, but if you go to a nice dinner or a work function what you actually see more than anything are old model DayDates because everyone and their dog bought one during the oil boom in the 80s and most haven't changed since. Go just a few hours to one of the big cities like Houston or Austin and all of a sudden you see Pateks, APs, VCs, everything. Submariners suddenly become not only uncommon, but fairly pedestrian.

It all depends on demographic and culture. I like my Submariner because it's a fantastic watch and it looks good on my wrist. If everyone in town suddenly started sporting a Hulk I might not be thrilled, but it wouldn't change why I like the watch.

Nice watch and I agree with some of the other opinions here. I live on the west coast of Florida and our tropical weather year around supports sports watches like Rolex Subs and alike. I see quite a few around here from time to time but waay more trendy watches like iWatches and FitBits. Myself, I got my Sub for a graduation gift from Grad school and I went with the green bezel 16160LV, nice thing about it is that I never see one of these in the wild and funny thing is that when some see my watch they think it's fake because it doesn't have a black bezel. But those who know I always get a nice compliment on it. Enjoy yours.