Sign in to follow this  
QuEEits

Rolex Submariner with new caliber 3255, when?

There is already a 3235 in the new Pearlmaster...a version of the day-date 3255 without the day indicator. With the advances of Omega (co-axial) movements as well as others, the 3135 is falling behind on specs. Only a matter of time till they upgrade. Anyone thinking of buying a 116060 or 114060 or 116600 or equivalent should wait for the new movement. Otherwise, they are just paying for old technology that hasn't been seriously upgraded since the 80's. Even the new 39mm oyster perpetual has gotten the explorer movement (3132) with the added shock absorbers absent from the 3135 movement.

Rolex will be updating soon...even it's child watch (Tudor Pelagos) beats the sub on specs.

I don't understand this spec talk. Does any of this so call new technology help tell the time better.

If the current moment is reliable and accurate. Don't see any particular reason to wait for something that doesn't offer any visible improvement.

Plenty of improvements. This article does a good job of highlighting many of the advantages of the new movement.

http://www.watch-insider.com/news/th...hnical-values/

(The article is on the new 3255, but the new 3235 is the same movement minus the day function and likely will make its way into the oyster lineup)

Rolex has been increasing the prices of its watches for years, but this represents one of their first advances in movement in quite a while. At least with the engineering work that clearly went into the development of this new movement, there's a greater rationale for the cost.

To put it bluntly, I was fully aware of the new caliber earlier this year after it was announced at Basel. After several months of contemplating, I decided to go ahead and buy a current model Sub C now instead of waiting for the new improved model.

The reason? My 15 year old Datejust 16200 is still running (4 services in) and it work beautifully. The new 3255 is still an unproven movement and may run into some problems that were prevalent in the earlier Omega 8500 movements (black residual on barrels etc.).

I had problems with my early 2500 based Omega SMP and also a first gen 8500 AT. I ain't going to jump in and get burned a 3rd time. Better to get an older, time proven movement than buying the next big thing which may spend more time in the service center than on the wrist..

if if the movement proves to be reliable, I will get a GMT Master II later. I will hold off till then.