Sign in to follow this  
Belle

Do you recognize this bezel?

I have an 1989 two tone datejust that I love, but i was made a pretty decent offer to buy it recently. Today, I found another almost identical to mine other than the safire crystal, that is priced hundreds less than what was offered for the one Ialready have. I'm thinking about selling mine and buying the lower priced one and pocketing the difference. The pronlem is that I am not familiar with the bezel on the lower priced one. Anybody recognize it?

If that's the watch you're thinking of buying and pocketing the difference, there's a reason why it's less expensive. First, you're displaying a DATE (34 mm) model with an engine turned bezel, rather than the fluted bezel. If you've got a Datejust at 36mm, then you're trading down. Date models are just worth less than Datejust models.

Same movement, same Rolex engineering. Just smaller. Oh, and if that's a Date model from the 60's or early 70's, then it might even be 14K gold rather than the likely 18K gold you've now got on your Datejust, if it's really a Datejust.

You don't need my approval to make the deal, just be sure you have an idea of what you're giving up and what you're getting. As you describe the deal at the moment, you're going backwards in watch and value, but if it puts a few dollars in your pocket and you like what you see, then by my guest.