Sign in to follow this  
Demi

Explorer II 16570: Question regarding year and quality

I've been looking for an Explorer II 16570, and ones from the early 1990s and ones from the mid-2000s are all around the same price. This is going to be my first Rolex purchase, so I don't know if there's a huge difference between a well serviced watch from 1991/1992 vs a well serviced watch from 2005.

Are there any big differences between the 16570s from different years?

Yes. The best example for me would be a P or K serial watch as it'll be one with the lug holes and solid end links.

If you want the newer movement, 3186, get the later production of the M serials.

Also consider the change from tritium to luminova.

Solid end links is going to be the biggest tangible difference. Vasthorizons made some great points, mine is a late Z serial (about a 2006 production date) and has the 3186 movement (versus 3185) and it's incredibly accurate, but I honestly couldn't even tell you what the difference is. Drilled lugs are nice if you're going to be changing straps, though I find this model looks best on the bracelet so it may not be a big deal to you. If working lume is important then find a model with superluminova, you can tell because the tritium dials will say "Swiss t<25" and the luminova will say "Swiss made" at 6:00

Great choice no matter what, you'll love it

20150925182742_heylbpqjsqo.jpg