Sign in to follow this  
Coxcoon

Top 5 Gold Watches

1. Omega Speedmaster Professional in Gold

I’d love to own one of these vintage gold Omega Speedmaster Pro commemorative Apollo XI models with the hand-wound, Lemania-based Caliber 861 movement. Only 1,014 have been made and the first 40 pieces went to NASA astronauts and members of the White House. More information can be found here.

2. Rolex Day-DateRolex Day-Date - gold

Perhaps the most famous gold watch ever? The Rolex Day-Date might be just that. It was quite surprising when Rolex introduced a couple of 36-mm Day-Date models with straps 2013 at Baselworld (click here), but I would opt for one with the famous “President” bracelet.

3. Audemars Piguet Royal Oak in Gold

Although Audemars Piguet’s original idea (as brought to life by watch designer Gérald Genta) was to create a luxury sports watch in stainless steel, the company eventually decided to also make them in gold. Its slim and iconic case design looks particularly sophisticated when crafted from gold. Click here for a small collection of Génta-designed watches that joined me during a gathering of watch fans.

4. A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1

In October 2014, the Lange 1 celebrated its 20th anniversary. This made me realize, that it makes the Lange 1 one of the youngest “iconic” watches around. Except for a very small batch of Lange 1 watches that were made in steel almost 20 years ago, the Lange 1 is normally available only in precious metals. I love the Lange 1 in gold, as pictured. A beautiful, clean, German-built watch that comes close to perfection.

5. Breva Genie 01

I called the Breva Génie collection mechanical smart watches, as they do many intelligent things besides indicating time. Basically, the Breva Génie 01 is a mechanical weather station on the wrist. The Génie 01 in rose gold is one of the most interesting watches I experienced during my Baselworld visits.