Sign in to follow this  
AnsonFong

Orient Star vs Seiko Cocktail Time?

I own the Orient Star Retrograde. Beautiful watch and I think it's a great value. I love wearing it. I'm interested in the Seiko Cocktail Time (SARB065) and was wondering how the two watches compare. I know functionally and stylistically, they are different. But how do they compare for build quality? Dial finishing? Movement finishing? Case finishing? Accuracy? Others? One difference I know of is that the Orient has a sapphire crystal where the Seiko has a "Hardlex" glass crystal.

Any comparison between the two (or another Orient Star) by owners of both? BTW, I'm posting this question in the other forum as well.

Thanks!

The SARB065 has the 6R15 movement which is quite similar in terms of accuracy and quality as the movements in the Orient Star watches. Both have specifications of +25/-15s. Both tend to run a lot better though. I think the best comparison would be the OS DV02003W (STANDARD-DATE ORIENTSTAR | ORIENT WATCH). I am highly biased however as I work with Orient watches all day long. I can objectively say however that the glass (the Retrograde has sapphire with AR coating) on the Stars (especially the DV series with the SAR glass) is superior to the Hardlex used in the SARB065. A thread like this may be interesting to you: Hardlex vs Sapphire

At the end of the day many people love the SARB and many people love Orient Stars. The dial on the SARB is great, but the watch has some obvious downsides as well. In terms of finishing both are very nice.

I'm curious to know what your conclusion is going to be in the end!

Thanks for the detailed reply. Since I have the Retrograde, I figure if the SARB is similar in quality then I'd definitely be interested in getting one (I'm keeping my Retrograde though). The Hardlex on the Seiko is somewhat worrisome. I have a couple of Seikos with Hardlex (a diver and a Seiko 5) and both have scratches on the glass that obviously can't be (easily) buffed out. Since those are tool watches, I don't mind that much. But I would hate to have a similar scratch on my Cocktail Time since it's a dressier watch, and a higher price.

You mentioned "obvious downsides" to the SARB. Are there others besides the Hardlex that you can point out? Also, is all Hardlex the same? Meaning is the crystal on a Seiko 5 the same as the crystal on the SARB?

Very interesting thread. I must say that I have several watches with either mineral (Eco-Drive) or Hardlex (Seiko) and I've got scratches on several of them. I bought a Seiko 5 World Time at Christmas and I picked up a scratch in the first week. And I work in an office! So somehow I'm hard on my crystals.

I liked the info about swapping out crystals. If it's as easy as people say in the thread, then that's something I'll definitely look into.

Thanks again.

How is the decoration on the Orient Star?

Comparing my Orient Journeyman (also a +25/-10 rated movement) to my SARB033, I noticed that while both rotors are striped, my Orient also has pearlage on the plates, whereas the Seiko is bare. But the stripes on the SARB are a bit crisper.

Orient:

20150323173457_0xrmulxcpyr.jpg

20150323173458_joywdoc1iw3.jpg

Seiko:

20150323173458_txnteby1yqe.jpg

Lower grade Seiko 4R38 to compare:

20150323173459_uttlnrcwtey.jpg

The 6R15 looks just like a 4R38 with striped rotor, but the Orient has made a better decoration attempt.

So my question is, how much nicer decorated are Orient Stars, since they are a step up over my Journeyman ('Executive' line in USA, when it was available)?

This is the Orient 40A52:

40A52%20movement.jpg

The Retrograde is very similar. There's perlage on the back and stripes on the rotor. On the international versions the logo tends to be in gold, on the JDM it's usually black with a different rotor.