Welcome to WatchTalkForum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
orageeg

Are these watches made in China with Japanese movements?

On the rotor of my orient blue mako it says 'Japan'. On the inside of the rear case cover it says 'Hong Kong'. I know because I regulated mine.

The rear case cover of my orient star standard date says 'Made in Japan' and the movement rotor says 'Japan'.

I do not believe orient misleads or lies about any of this. It would only damage them in the long run.

Look at the lies and deceit of companies like Invicta. Most watch people I know consider them a joke.

That's what I suspected - when I received a brand new Mako with the second hand detached, floating around under the glass. These kinds of QC problems are typical for products assembled in China. When I started poking around on Amazon reviews and on this board I found others have had similar experiences.

You'd never know that Orient watches were not 100% made in Japan by looking at their website. They say things like "As one of the very few manufacturers in the world that actually manufactures mechanical watches at its own production facilities, ...." then "They join a short list of watch companies that actually manufacture their movements in-house."

So, maybe just the movements in-house and the hands are attached in China along with other casing work.

So, the Orient website isn't entirely deceitful, but it's not exactly forthcoming either.

Yea, one does have to do some digging around to find out.

It is really necessary to do alot of research before parting with your hard earned cash.

There is no excuse for cutting out good QC. That will only drive customers away.

Besides this forum, I also check out Watchlords to find out what is really going on with some of these companies.

Yea, Orient's movements are all made in Japan, but some are assembled in Hong Kong under Japanese QC. Orient Star is manufactured in Japan entirely. Sorry you got a bum watch...it's happened to me with all kinds of brands, from high end swiss to seiko. No company is immune to QC problems of some sort.

I agree - anybody can make a mistake. The difference between a class act and ... the opposite, is how you deal with those mistakes.

In the case of Orient - they ignore you. No response to Customer Service contacts when you have a problem.

I'd look elsewhere, unless you feel lucky and you get a good watch. If you don't - you're on your own.

I was watching a video from Long Island Watches and he said that all orient with model numbers starting with S are fully made in Japan.  All the other ones the movements are done in house and assemble elsewhere.  He is an authorized retailer.  Here is the link to the video fast forward to min 17:35.