Sign in to follow this  
Tttale

what's the function of helium escape valve and how to operate

often see this phase on diving watches, to be honest, i don't have any diving watch, so that function and how it works is kind of blurry and abstract in my mind, anyone here can expound on it a little bit? 

This function is exclusively designed for professional divers, when they operate at great depths, they usually spend prolonged time in diving bells under pressure breathing a gas mix including helium that being the smallest natural gas particles in nature, so it’s able to penetrate into the watch, once it gathers in a certain quantity, it will push out the crystal. So this function is designed to avoid this situation by open the valve when diver get on surface, so to let the helium escape out of the watch.

Remember, when returned to atmospheric level, the valve must be opened! but usually in daily wearing, this function should retain closed

so if never diving, this function is gonna no use like forever? how about if i open the valve and close it right away, will that do harm for the watch?

i don't think it will, unless you are in diving so why bother to open it?  best to leave it closed cause you actually don't need it at all!!

i don't think it will, unless you are in diving so why bother to open it?  best to leave it closed cause you actually don't need it at all!!

thanks for your explanation, i'm just curious, will that be bad for the watch, haha